This activity will get you thinking about how you can reduce your use of plastics in your daily life and start getting others to do the same.
Develop these Key Competencies:
- Critical Thinking
- Self Awareness
No Material needed
- Does plastic rule your life, or is your plastic footprint microscopic? Or are you somewhere in the middle? Could you take action now to cut down on your plastic usage?
- The facilitator should introduce the concept of the three Rs. That means reducing, reusing or replacing your plastic items.
- The facilitator should bring different questions to the participants to start the conversation about single-use plastic and how to find alternatives for our daily use. The following points are a sample of questions and personal takeaways/resolutions for the participants:
- Cut 3 single-use plastic items from your life
- What alternatives to plastic did you end up using?
Relevant information if you are facilitating
Select at least three changes that you pledge to make:
- Buy a metal utensils kit that I can carry in my backpack
- Buy metal straws for my household
- Purchase a reusable shopping bag that I can carry in my backpack
- I will stop purchasing bottled water
- I will encourage my troop not to use single-use cups and plates at camps or Scouting activities
- Refuse to purchase fruits and vegetables excessively wrapped in plastic
- I shall purchase a reusable water bottle
- In the future, when I go to a cafe, I will bring my coffee/tea mug.