Get ready for an exciting adventure of water collection using the sun's magic! In this hands-on activity, we will harness the power of condensation to obtain clean water from the environment. While exploring the fascinating science behind condensation, we will learn how to purify water and enhance our understanding of soil's role in water retention. Let's quench the sun's thirst for discovery!
Develop these Key Competencies:
- Systems Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Large container (glass)
- Plastic foil (approximately 70 cm2)
- Plastic foil (preferably transparent)
- Stones or small rocks
- Glass container
- Pebble stone or small object
- Fresh vegetation (e.g., weeds or kitchen vegetable waste)
- Water purification tablets
- Safety equipment (gloves, if required)
- Sunscreen (for outdoor activity)
Step 1: Safety First
- Before we begin, wear your safety equipment, such as gloves, if necessary, and apply sunscreen for outdoor activities.
Step 2: Prepare the Hole
- Dig a hole about 30 cm deep and 60 cm in diameter in a sunny spot. The hole can be smaller in diameter if needed.
Step 3: Fill the Hole
- Collect fresh vegetation, like weeds or vegetable waste, and fill the hole with it. Grass clippings work well in suburban settings.
Step 4: Position the Glass Container
- Place the glass container in the center of the hole, ensuring it has a firm base supported by the ground, not the plants.
Step 5: Cover with Plastic Foil
- Cover the hole with plastic foil, ensuring it is well sealed. Use stones on the edges to stretch and tense the plastic foil. The foil should have a sink in the middle, directly above the container.
Step 6: Let the Sun Work It's Magic
- Wait at least 2 hours to let the accelerated greenhouse effect inside the covered hole generate condensation. The water will evaporate, condense on the plastic foil, and drip into the container.
Could you observe the collected moisture in the glass container? The amount of water collected will depend on factors such as sunlight exposure, soil type, and vegetation used.
Discover how the soil captures and stores water, making it available to crops for absorption. The greenhouse effect inside the covered hole generates evaporation, condensing and falling into the container through gravity.
Additional Activities: Purify the Water
Explore the SODIS method of water purification using PET bottles. Investigate if the method works with other types of bottles, such as transparent or coloured ones.
Safety Note - Use caution while handling sharp objects or tools. Avoid any hazards during outdoor activities and ensure proper sun protection.
Relevant information if you are facilitating
This activity immerses participants in the magic of condensation while emphasizing the importance of clean water and its connection to climate action. By engaging in water collection and purification techniques, participants gain valuable insights into sustainable practices and contribute to SDG goals. Encourage curiosity and critical thinking as they embark on this refreshing journey of water conservation and climate-conscious actions!